Monday, May 10, 2010

Mint Condition - Shopping with kids can be fun!

Mint Condition on AD - How a toy collector sets his priorities.

You know, sometimes I forget Nathan has kids and a wife...I really should write for them more. I think I don't because drawing kids (and making them look like kids) is such a pain for me. It's so much more than "make them short". Kids have disproportionately large heads as opposed to adults who are (for the most part) proportionate. Also, I just haven't had a lot of experience with it, but I'm forcing myself here. Also, writing for Willow scares me too, but that's just because she's so different from all of the main cast.

Just about all of the Mint Condition cast is really geeky in some way, really random, funny, and often times stupid. The character of Willow (while being geeky in her own way), isn't really like that. And I don't want her to be. I like the idea of one of my characters being different from the rest, it just makes it hard to write for her and actually have the comic being funny. However, this being a year of major changes (remember when I said that?) I plan to rectify this, which is why this week we're dealing with Nathan and his family. And the tedious task of shopping. Anyway, enjoy this first one. I think it's cute, but also fun. And look at her tummy! I almost forgot Willow was pregnant again. Seriously, the other week I was telling myself to make Willow pregnant for a third time, before I was reminded she already was. This is also why I'm writing more comics with Willow. So I can remember these things!

Oh, and look at the backgrounds in today's comic! The Wacom really is awesome and is certainly making me more confident in my background drawing abilities. I like my backgrounds to be more painted than looking like they were inked, which was HARD to do with a mouse. Have I mentioned how much I love Sarah and her awesomeness for buying me this thing? Because I do.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed last week's guest comics. I know I did. I thought they were really good, but I won't lie. It was mostly because it allowed me enough time off to get ahead on some work. Like this week's comics! And general comic related stuff. It definitely was a load of pressure off my shoulders, that's for sure...so don't expect me to get behind anytime soon (hopefully never again, but I'm a realist).

If you're a Twitter follower of mine, you may have noticed my recent burst of "random sketches" that I do once and a while. If not, here are a couple of samples. I'm letting you know this, because I figured I'd let you guys offer up suggestions for future sketches. You can send them to me via email, by posting comments here on the blog, or by posting them in this forum dedicated to sketch suggestions. I'd prefer the latter, so it's easy to keep up with. When I have time I'll do a sketch! It could be yours, if it's awesome enough. I've just been having fun doodling with the Wacom that I just feel like drawing whatever, ya know? So send those suggestions!

And one more thing for today. Nathan (the real Nathan) is trying to widdle down his action figure collection and make some room on his shelves for future action figures and is currently selling his entire line of Resident Evil action figures from Palisades. If you're into that stuff, have a look-see and bid! You'd be helping him and yourself!

That's all for today. Until Thursday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sam said...

It's understandable how you can forget Willow, but his kids are too cute to forget about.

And btw, I was looking through some of the old comics, showing them to a friend of mine (she loves the comic now), and I realized how awesome these new ones look compared to the older ones.

May 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home