Thursday, March 11, 2010

The first in a 3 part miniseries.

So if you haven't noticed by now, today's comic wasn't done by me. It was done by one of my best and closest friends Dim McRemnant. He had told me he was planning an "epic 3-part storyline" to do for me as a series of guest comics. He didn't tell me what it was going to be about, just that they were all connected, they were purely story driven (as opposed to joke driven) and the art style was an homage.

After getting this first page in I must admit I was blown away. Immediately I get the homage is to that of Frank Miller's Sin City, and I really dig the realistically drawn characters, and the fact that it's a Clark Parker story. Combine all this basassitude (copyright John Harmon 2010) together with the equally badass title "The Devil Knows My Hand" and that's a recipe for great comics as far as I'm concerned. I don't even care that it's not joke driven, I just can't wait to see what happens. As of this writing, I haven't gotten in the second or third pages so I have no idea what's going to happen. Seeing Dim work in such an unfamiliar art style is definitely a treat because he completely blew it away. I don't think I've ever seen such fluid, fantastic work in comic form from him, which is especially surprising since he's been out of the comic game for a while now, but I'd definitely say he's back in full swing. Or at least getting there. I don't know if he'll ever completely go back to comics, but it's great that offering me guest comics gives him an excuse to make comics again.

This is also very welcome considering I literally had NOTHING for today. I had planned something for today, however I have been working practically nonstop (my only breaks being sleep) on this latest custom action figure commission of mine, trying to get it finished because it's been taking too long. I got too into the work today and just...well, didn't get a comic finished. I sat down at the computer at 11:30 PM to crank one out and I check my email and lo and behold Dim sends me this gift. Needless to say, I was very pleased. It should be noted though that this is NOT Guest Week here on Mint Condition. These were going to be a part of guest week, but since I'm in such need right now I'm putting this up for today, and putting the other two parts up next Monday and Thursday, which also really helps me since I'll be out of town with Sarah all next week. We're driving to Plainview, TX to visit my family. I look very forward to seeing my one year old nephew Kaedin again. I really miss him.

But enough of that for now. In toy news, today I finally got my G.I. Joe: Pursuit of Cobra Desert Battle Ripcord and Desert Battle Zartan in the mail today. The figures are pre-production, meaning they aren't even packaged yet. I got them from a Chinese eBay seller, selling them for about 13 bucks a pop. It's with free shipping, but still. The only reason I bit that bullet was because after seeing the Pursuit of Cobra presentation at ToyFair this year, I noticed this extremely badass Ripcord figure was nowhere to be seen, and not only that, but the Zartan has a newly sculpted head and overall just looks terrible so I wanted to go ahead and get these figures now before they go for even higher prices. The figures as they are now are phenomenal. I can't believe Hasbro is going with such generic headsculpts and getting rid of the actor's heads for the Pursuit of Cobra line, but whatever...I got mine. I don't even mind that I had to pay extra to get them, the fact that they'll never be released as they are now is so worth it. Very awesome.

That's all for today. If you would, please join us again on Monday for the second part of The Devil Knows My Hand. Until then.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aww, have a nice trip!

March 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger John Harmon said...

Thank you! :D

March 15, 2010 at 2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home